INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Mike Pence announced the selection of a chief counsel, a senior adviser, and a budget director this week but the governor-elect has been keeping a low profile during his transition to power. It's a big contrast from the approach that Mitch Daniels took eight years ago.
Behind a non-descript door on the second floor of the Statehouse, Pence was conducting interviews Friday in the effort to fill key roles in his administration. 24-Hour News 8 interrupted him to find out why he's been out of the spotlight for a little more than three weeks. When asked if there has been an effort to be low profile, Pence said, "I think there's really been an effort to focus on the work."
Pence last held a media event with Governor Mitch Daniels on the day after the election. By contrast, in similar circumstances eight years ago, Daniels had already met with the outgoing governor, conducted a thank you tour, and met with reporters to announce plans and then new appointments.
"Eight years ago it was a changing of the guard and it was all about recruitment and it was all about a change of direction for Indiana," said Pence. "Here, I think our objective is to make sure we keep Indiana headed in the right direction, that we retain the people who have served the people of Indiana and have more to contribute."
An aide says that Pence's leadership style is different from the Daniels style and that there will be lots of contrasts down the road. But the low profile will go away.
"You'll be seeing a lot more of me in the weeks and months ahead," he said, "I can assure you of that."
And that change will begin as early as next week. Pence says he will begin to announce his selections for agency heads then. Look for some of them to be holdovers from the Daniels administration.
Copyright 2013 WISH TV. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Did you like this article? Vote it up or down! And don't forget to add your comments below!